Do You Have What It Takes To Be An MDEA Winner?
The MDEA competition accepts entries worldwide from companies and individuals involved in the design, engineering, manufacture, or distribution of finished medical devices.
The MDEA competition is open to finished medical devices, including instruments, machines, implants, in vitro reagents, mobile medical applications, or other related products that are intended for the diagnosis, cure, mitigation, treatment, or prevention of disease or other conditions in humans or animals. Product components by themselves are not eligible.
Entries Are Accepted In 11 Product Categories:
- Cardiovascular Devices—devices and equipment used to diagnose or treat conditions of the heart and circulatory system
- Digital Health Products and Mobile Medical Apps
- Drug-Delivery and Combination Products—including pre-filled syringes, misting devices, dry powder inhalers, patches, pouches, or combination implants with biologic agents, etc.
- ER and OR Tools, Equipment, and Supplies—including critical care, general surgery, plastic surgery, and anesthesiology products
- Gastrointestinal and Genitourinary Devices—including gastrological, urological, gynecological, and obstetric devices
- Implant and Tissue-Replacement Products—including cochlear, corneal, orthopedic, neurological, and tissue implants and instruments
- Nonsurgical Hospital Supplies and Equipment—including general medical equipment and supplies used in hospitals and doctor's offices, such as stethoscopes, blood lancets, medical carts, ventilators, hospital beds, blood pressure monitors, etc.
- Over-the-Counter and Self-Care Devices
- Radiological, Imaging, and Electromechanical Devices
- Rehabilitation and Assistive-Technology Products—including wheelchairs, walkers, crutches, hearing aids, prosthetic devices, etc.
- Testing and Diagnostic Products and Systems—including products that fall into FDA categories of chemistry, hematology, immunology, microbiology, pathology, and toxicology
Entries can be submitted by the product’s OEM or by suppliers that provide materials, components, or services with the OEM’s written consent.
To be eligible for entry in the MDEA competition, products must be commercially available (able to be ordered or purchased) by December 31 in the year prior to the competition.
Additional Eligibility Requirements Are As Follows:
- Products commercially available in any country are eligible.
- Eligible products must meet FDA’s definition of a medical device.
- Products previously entered but not selected as finalists or award winners may be entered again.
- Products previously selected as finalists or award winners may not be entered again unless significant design or engineering changes have been made to the product.
- Entries are not accepted from jurors, their companies, or those companies’ subsidiaries in the year they act as jurors. Any product thus disqualified may be entered in a subsequent year.
- Entries are accepted from sponsoring organizations, but our independent jurors are not made aware of sponsorships until after finalists and winners have been selected.
All entrants must fill out the official MDEA entry form via our online submission portal and pay the entry fee(s) by the specified deadline in order to be entered in the competition.
Awards Program Key Dates:
Open for Entries: October 1, 2018
Entry Deadline: January 10th, 2019
Early Bird Price: $399/entry (Ends Nov. 1, 2018)
Regular Price: $499/entry
Finalists Notified: February 15th, 2019
Finalists Announced: May 1st, 2019
Awards Ceremony: June 11, 2019
Location: Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, New York, NY