MDEA Lifetime Achievement Award
Each year, the UBM medical content team selects an industry pioneer to receive the MDEA Lifetime Achievement Award in recognition of the crucial role he or she has played in medical device innovation. This award goes to an individual whose contributions over a long career in the medtech industry have had a significant and demonstrable impact on technological, business, and cultural advancements in the world.
2018 MDEA Lifetime Achievement Winner
Robert Jarvik, M.D.
- Dr. Jarvik has been active in artificial heart developments for over 30 years and developed the first human application of a permanent total artificial heart
- Founder of Jarvik Heart, Inc., where he has served as President and CEO and recently also Chairman.
- Named Inventor of the Year by the Intellectual Properties Owners Association
- Dr. Robert E. Fischell, Founder of Angel Medical, Pacesetter Systems, IsoStent, NeuroPace, and NeuraLieve, among other medical device companies (2017)
- Manny Villafaña, Founder, Chairman & CEO Medical 21 (2016)
- John Abele, founder of Boston Scientific Corp. (2015)
- Dean Kamen, founder of DEKA Research & Development Corp. (2014)
- Robert Langer, David H. Koch Institute Professor, MIT (2013)
- Thomas Fogarty, inventor of the Fogarty embolectomy catheter (2012)
- Alfred E. Mann, founder of Advanced Bionics Corp. (2011)